Pages

Monday, April 9, 2018

Procrastiosity



What is the phenomenon called when you put something off and then the longer you wait, the more grand the something has to be when you actually do it?  There's gotta be a name for that.  Procrastination + Grandiosity =  Procrastiosity?  That's what I've done with posting on my blog here.  But if I am only posting for myself, that need not matter.  So here I am, Self.  With some reflecting to do.

Today I tried something different.  During read-to-self, I went around and talked with each child for 1 minute.  Today was casualish, like, "How's it going?" and "How's your day going?" and, "How was your break?"  I had wondered if a minute could count for anything, but you can actually get a lot said/heard in a minute.  I. loved. it.  

Now I need to think about how to incorporate this kind of practice in different ways, so I get more one-on-one time with my kiddos.  I think I will experiment this week and see where it leads me.  Have speed-conferences about reading or writing.  

Really amped up what I had our student of the day do today.  I said, "Man, I am working you hard."  He replied, "I kinda like it."  Shoot.  Another reminder I am doing too much!  Bring on the leaders.  

The end of the day always seems to be a bit of a struggle for us.  This article came across my desk and so I am trying to implement this routine.  A Lovely Silent Well Behaved way to End Each Day

https://www.smartclassroommanagement.com/2018/04/07/a-lovely-silent-well-behaved-way-to-end-each-day/



Timing was a little off today, but I already so improvements.  Must train them better tomorrow (i.e. let them know what the system is, exactly).  

It was a good day today.  I can actually say I had fun today.  

Oh!  Tried out the Authentic Literacy Template form Focus given to us by our fearless curriculum leader.  Figuring out how to best use it with my kiddos, but today we did a poem and it was quite invigorating.  

One thing I need to "fix": Class discussion.  I gave it 10 minutes and 7 students had a chance to talk.  The others were not listening very well.  It is supposed to help everyone, so I need to think about how to get more participation.  Tomorrow I will try Wagon Wheel.  I think some collaborative structures will hold the answer for me. 


Joy in our hearts
Joy in our room
Joy in our learning

No comments:

Post a Comment