Pages

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Videotaping Yourself (Yikes)

Blogging may help me as a teacher, but here's what I think can REALLY help me as a teacher:


VIDEOTAPING MYSELF
(Yikes!)

I thought I had an awesome lesson I wanted to videotape and so I did.  Spoiler alert: it fizzled and flopped.  

I was bummed and thought why the world did I tape that?  But then I watched it.

Wowzers bajowzers!  From watching that 10 minute video I learned SO much.  I say, "ok" too much.  I sent them out to fly too soon.  I gave (and this is not an exaggeration) lousy directions.  

Very educational.  

Now I have decided that if I see some of the bad, I need to see some of the good (or else it would be a total bummer).  I was very enthusiastic.  I had a great visual.  My kiddos were engaged and with me....until I sent them off (with aforementioned terrible directions).

Note to self: Do that again.

Ironically, one of my students (on her own initiative) decided to videotape on of my lessons later in the day.  THAT was super interesting to watch, because I didn't know I was being taped. 

I've heard it again and again and again and again: Videotape yourself and you will learn so much about yourself as a teacher.  But I just never got around to it.  

It does not take but 1 minute effort to do so.  Just have to remember!  Well, it will take some minutes after school, too, cause you will want to watch it.  

My aha moment for the day.  

PS The thing about having a blog is that I am more aware of what I am seeing, learning, doing, and thinking.  All things that help REFLECTING. 

Joy in the room
Joy in our faces
Joy in learning 


No comments:

Post a Comment